The year 2009 ends tonight so it's time to take a look back at my wishes for the year of 2009. For reference here are my original wishes and my mid-year review of them.
1. Ground breaking on the stadium - Well, Robb Heineman said it would happen by the end of the year, but with the late snow and everything, that looks extremely unlikely. But the Wizards seem to have a permanent location (although I thought the same about the Bannister site) and hopefully the paper work for the Legends site will be signed off early in 2010 and official ground breaking will be soon behind.
2. 10-15 goal scorer for the Wizards - This wish was actually fulfilled as Josh Wolff hit a career high with 11 goals. Unfortunately the other 23 players that appeared in league games for the Wizards this season only scored 20 (with 2 own goals). The Wizards finished the season tied for 13th in scoring. I was thinking at the time that with a 10-15 goal scorer it would mean KC would have over 40 goals.
3. US qualifies for World Cup 2010 - This one happened with one game to go thanks to a 3-2 win in Honduras. The draw for the World Cup was fairly kind to the US when looking at other groups. The US will be playing England, Algeria, and Slovenia in Group C. Definitely a group the US can qualify out of.
4. US does well at the Confederations Cup - (Reposting my comment from the mid-year review) If you'd have told me at the beginning of the year that the US would finish second at the tournament, I would have been ecstatic. And while I am very happy with the performance in the second half of the tournament, seeing how the US finished second is disappointing. Sure it was Brazil in the final, but up 2-0 you would hope the US could hold on. Still, though, a big win over Spain in the semifinals, and a nice win over Egypt are two good things to take from the competition.
5. Some Silverware - LOL, yeah that didn't happen, not even close.
6. Lopez has a 2009 season like the end of the 2008 season - Not a bad season for Lopez overall, he contributed on almost half of the Wizards 33 goals this past season (7 goals, 8 assists). Any other player and most fans would be very happy with that type of performance out of a player.
7. A blowout home win - Another one that wasn't even close to happening especially with KC's poor home form this past season. KC had a league worst, 4-6-5 at Community America Ballpark this past season. Probably the biggest thing that needs to improve heading into next season.