Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Comets Pull Off Comeback

The Comets looked like they were going to give the Wichita Wings a leg back into the Turpike Trophy competition between the two teams. Poor shooting and some good goalkeeping Sanaldo had the Comets facing a 7-2 deficit heading into the fourth quarter, but 4 unanswered goals saw the Comets pull out the 10-7 win taking a 3-0 lead in their series with the Wings.

The Comets got off to an early start after an early penalty to Victor Quiroz. On the ensuing power play, the Comets played the ball around the top of the arc before playing it inside to Leo Gibson, Gibson played the ball out wide to Byron Alvarez who cut inside and fired a ball into the far post to give the Comets the 2-0 lead. Just about half way through the quarter though, Quiroz made amends as he fired home a shot past Danny Waltman to make it 2-2. About a minute past this, the Wings grabbed the lead through former Comet, Jamie Harding. On a fast break, Chile Farias fed Harding who fired a 3 point shot that Waltman let slip by him and into the net for a 3 pointer giving the Wings a 5-2 lead.

Into the second quarter, both teams pushed to find the next goal, but saves by Sanaldo and Waltman kept the score level at 5-2 heading into the half time break. The shot selection by the Comets was another issue as well, many times they chose the wrong shot or the wrong pass giving the ball away or watching the ball roll to Sanaldo.

About five minutes into the 3rd quarter, the Wings went onto the power play for the first time after Waltman handled the ball outside the box on a Wings fast break. On the ensuing penalty shootout by Farias, the Wings forward tried to get cute laying the ball off to a teammate and Waltman came up with a big save. Still Quiroz converted later on the power play to extend the Wings lead to 7-2. Later in the 3rd quarter, the Comets started their comeback, again on the power play. Once again it was Alvarez finishing off the chance. This time it came about as Geison fired in a shot from the far side that the Comets captain turned in to cut the lead to 3.

The lead was down to 1 only 42 seconds into the fourth quarter. Neto fired in a shot from the corner that Geison slid to met the shot pushing it past Sanaldo and making it 7-6. The Comets were able to kill off another power play as Cristiano was sent to the box for boarding. The Comets though probably had the best opportunity on the fast break, but Tiguinho, who had plenty of chances throughout the night was stuffed by Sanaldo. The chances kept coming for the Comets, Cristiano hit the cross bar for the second time in the game and it looked like it just wouldn't be the Comets night. But with just under 5 minutes left, as the Comets were looking to pull the Waltman for a 6th attacker, the Comets took the lead. Alvarez held up a ball into the top of the arc well, and then laid the ball off to an on rushing Vahid Assadpour who collected the ball and one v one with Sanaldo slotted the ball into the corner to give the Comets the 8-7 lead. So instead of the Comets pulling their goalkeeper, it was the Wings looking to regain the lead. The Wings created some half chances, but it was the Comets that found the next goal, as Waltman started a fast break, feeding Tiguinho. Tiguinho fired a shot into the net at the near post, beating the Wings 6th attacker and making it 10-7. Still with just over 2 minutes left, the Comets still had to be on their toes as a 3 pointer by the Wings tied the game. The Comets created a few more chances, but couldn't find another goal, and Waltman made one last big save to guarantee the points and a nice win for the Comets.

No comments: