Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wizards Beat Brass Again

The Wizards once again took care of KC's PDL side, the Brass today out at the Swope Park training facility, 4-1. Unlike last week when the two teams played, the Wizards first team actually took part in part of the match, playing the first 45 minutes, with the reserves playing the second half. Here's the lineup for the Wizards in the first half.
Watson - Conrad - Hohlbein - Besler
Harrington - Arnaud - Souter
Gomez - Lopez

The Wizards were the team with the better chances in the first half, but unlike the first time these two teams played, the Brass were able to attack more than they had previously. Still, it was the Wizards that found the break through, from Davy Arnaud. Arnaud received a through ball and was able to out run his defender and beat the Brass goalkeeper to the far post. KC continued to pressure the rest of the half, but the Brass' goalkeeper made some good saves on Claudio Lopez and Herculez Gomez to keep the game at 1-0.

Both teams made changes to their lineups to start the second half. The Wizards sub in the entire second team to play the second half, including red card recipiants, Josh Wolff and Santiago Hirsig. Here's how KC lined up in the second half.
Kraus - Leathers - McKenzie - Marquess
Hirsig - Zusi - Espinoza
Thompson - Wolff

The second half saw the Wizards control the game and create some good chances, and it was Graham Zusi who finally doubled KC's lead. He received a ball played back to him from Matt Marquess, and Zusi fired low inside the post to make it 2-0. The Wizards continued to push, and Josh Wolff could have made it 3, but his shot after a give and go with Zusi went just wide. Zusi almost got a second, but his shot hit the outside of the post. Finally, Wolff added the third, as Marquess worked with Roger Espinoza down the left, and then crossed in to a waiting Wolff, who was able to direct the ball into the net with his foot.

The Brass responded immediately though, as one of their players raced onto a long ball over the top. Boris Pardo came off his line, but missed on a slide tackle. The Brass player rounded Pardo and from the side of the box curled a shot in to make it 3-1. KC continued to pressure and regained the 3 goal lead through Wolff again. Michael Kraus and Abe Thompson worked a 1-2 down the right side. Kraus played a ball along the ground into the box where Wolff met it to make it 4-1. Still the Brass continued to push and had a deflected shot go off the post, but that was the best chance late for the Brass.

No comments: