Sunday, December 19, 2010

Comets Still Winless at Home

From the Comets.

All the Comets wanted was their first home win for the holidays, but the Chicago Riot wanted their first win of the season just a little bit more, as the Comets fell to the team from the Windy City, 14-13 at the Independence Events Center in a game the went back-and-forth all afternoon.

Bato Radoncic got the Riot got on the board first after a Comets defensive lapse at 6:19 mark in the first period, but a minute later, Vahid Assanpour tied things up for the Comets with an assist from Leo Gibson. The first quarter ended tied 2-2.

Tiguinho gave the Comets a 4-2 lead at the 1:46 mark in the second period, but the Riot came right back to tie it 4-4 on a goal by Alex Megson. The Riot would take the lead after a Chris Brisson goal made it 6-4 Riot. With a two man advantage, the Comets couldn’t capitalize after consecutive two-minute penalties on the Riot for pushing and too many men on the field. The Riot lead at halftime, 6-4.

Geison Moura tied things up after the half with an assist from Assadpour. Thirty-eight seconds later, Jamar Beasley scored his 5th goal of the season unassisted on a wicked shot from the right side, giving the Comets an 8-6 lead. Comets keeper, Danny Waltman, blocked a shoot-out attempt after a tripping penalty, but couldn’t stop a penalty kick by the Riot’s Novi after a hand-ball in the box penalty by defender, Jeff Davis, bringing the Riot even at 8-8. Birche of the Comets would give the Comets the lead again after a long-range 3-point shot on a Comets power-play, giving the Comets an 11-8 lead. The Riot would get on the board again after Radoncic’s second goal of the game. The Riot would take the lead at the end of the period after Comets’ goalie, Danny Waltman, was called for a hand-ball outside the goalie area. Eric Lukin scored on the penalty kick to give the Riot a 12-11 lead at the end of the 3rd period. It was Lukin’s first goal of the year.

Eric Lukin would continue the scoring for the Riot, extending their lead to 14-11 with an early goal early in the 4th period. The Comets would then get as close as they would get after a power play goal by Byron Alvarez on an assist from Leo Gibson, his 7th assist of the season and third of the game. Final: Riot 14-13. Gibson was named Comets’ Player of the Game.

“Somehow, some way, we’ve got to figure out how to win these close ones, said Comets head coach, Kim Roentved. “Every game, we’re getting better and better. We just need to figure out how to get over that hump.”

The Comets next game is Wednesday, December 29th at 7:35 p.m. at the Independence Events Center against the Baltimore Blast. The Comets will also be hosting a special winter Youth Soccer Camp for boys and girls ages 6-13 to be held on the field at the Independence Events Center on Tuesday, December 28th and Wednesday, December 29th. Each camp participant receives specialized instruction from Comets players and coaches, a camp T-shirt, and a ticket to the December 29th game. The Comets will also be holding a special goalkeeper camp on the 27th and 28th with Comets’ goalkeepers, Danny Waltman and Boris Pardo, along with Columbus Crew goalie, Andy Gruenebaum, and Sporting KC goalie, Jimmy Nielson. The Comets will then hit the road for a 2p.m. New Year’s Eve Day game against the Milwaukee Wave. Boxscore can be found at


Anonymous said...

No live blog this time? I enjoyed ready it after the games.

Mike said...

I was out of town this weekend, didn't get back into KC until about 30 mins before game time and didn't have the energy to head back out. I'm hoping to get back out next Wednesday for the game.