Sunday, January 13, 2013

Comets Fall in Wichita

The Missouri Comets suffered a heartbreaking loss on Saturday evening to their rival, the Wichita Wings.  Leo Gibson scored three goals, John Sosa had three assists, but they were ultimately done in by the Wings 12-11 in a game that was in doubt until the final buzzer sounded.

The Comets started the game extremely aggressively, winning nearly every 50/50 ball and getting off several shots.  In the first quarter they outshot the Wings 12-5, with Leo Gibson getting his first goal on the night with four seconds left in the quarter. 

The Wings turned the momentum around in the second quarter.  Kevin Ten Eyck and Frederico Moojen each scored to take over the lead five minutes into the second quarter.  Seven minutes later, Edvin Worley took advantage of the open space after Comets’ defender, Cristiano, was shoved off the ball.  He was able to come in one-on-one against Comets’ goalkeeper Boris Pardo and increased the Wings lead to 6-2.  Leo Gibson got his second goal of the night from John Sosa a minute later to get within two points of the tie and the teams went into halftime with a Wings 6-4 lead.

Shortly before the half ended, Wichita’s Moojen was sent to the penalty box for accumulating four fouls in the half.  The Comets started the second half with a one man advantage for one and half minutes, but they only needed 15 seconds as the Sosa to Gibson connection once again connected for a goal and evened up the score.  The Wings went ahead again shortly after that, but a Vahid Assadpour rocket from beyond the arc gave the Comets their second lead of the night (9-8) with eight minutes left in the quarter.  They were not able to hold on to the lead, though as Andre Berenzon scored his first goal in a Wings uniform shortly before the quarter ended and regained the lead 10-9.

Victor Quiroz opened up the fourth quarter scoring for the Wichita Wings, despite the efforts of the Comets attack.  Now needing to come back from a 12-9 deficit, they team pushed hard into their attacking third of the field, but were unable to get open looks as the Wings collapsed their defense in front of their goalkeeper.  It didn’t make matters easier when forward Byron Alvarez was sent off for accumulating three cards in the game.  Despite being down a man, the Comets continued to pressure and forward Ramone Palmer was able to get the Comets to within one, 12-11.  With only ten seconds remaining the Comets thought they had a chance, getting a restart at the top of the arc.  Kevin Ten Eyck threw himself in front of the last second shot and preserved the victory for the Wings.  Comets fall 12-11 tonight, but still lead the I-35 series three games to two.

Missouri returns home next Saturday, January 19th in the annual Retro Game.  The players will be wearing jerseys inspired by the 1992-93 NPSL Champion Kansas City Attack.  Fans can take these jerseys home with them in a LIVE auction immediately following the game.  At halftime Comets and Attack alumni will play a spirited exhibition game.  Kickoff is at 7:35pm and fans can get tickets by calling 855.KC.ARENA or going to

No comments: