Monday, November 21, 2011

Comets Fall to Wave

Maybe I need to go back to my Sporting KC recovery stage for the Comets to win games. Since I finally "recovered" and started really covering the Comets again this year, the team has gone 0-2. When I wasn't, they were 3-0.

Yesterday afternoon at the Independence Event Center, the Comets fell to the defending MISL Champions, Milwaukee Wave 11-6. The Comets scored the first goal of the game through Bryon Alvarez who finished off a scuffed shot from Cristiano, burying it into the net to give the Comets the 2-0 early lead. The Comets held the lead through the end of the quarter as the Comets had the better of play, holding Milwaukee to only 2 shots in the first period and nothing late in the quarter.

The second quarter was a different story though. The Wave got on the board off of a restart as Marcio Leite played a short pass to Joe Hammes who fired the ball past Danny Waltman and tied the game at 2-2. The Wave continued to pressure the Comets, creating a few chances, but Waltman was up to the task making the needed saves. With less than a minute left in the half, the Wave took the lead. Jonatan Santos dribbled across the yellow line before firing a low shot that a shielded Waltman didn't see until late and the ball rolled into the net for a 3 point goal, giving the Wave a 5-2 lead.

In the third quarter the Comets made a comeback and retook the lead. The play started with Alvarez getting the ball, turning and firing into the net to pull the Comets to within a goal. Late on in the quarter, the Comets grabbed the lead through Geison. A Bryan Harris shot hit off the wall and bounced back into the middle where Geison hit it on the side volley into the net giving the Comets a 6-5 lead. Unfortunately late in the quarter a stupid challenge by Alvarez won him a blue card and put the Comets down a man.

The penalty carried over to the fourth quarter, where the Wave took advantage of the man advantage, retaking the lead through Hewerton Moreira off a pass from Santos he slotted the ball past Waltman to make it 7-6. Less than a minute later, the Wave scored again this time as Leite fired a hard shot from a tight angle past Waltman to make it 9-6. The Wave looked to have really put the game away a short time later, as Greg Howes jumped on the field on a quick sub and beat Waltman 1v1, but the goal ended up being called back as the Wave had too many men on the field. Still, the Wave would find another goal, through Ian Bennett after he beat John Sosa. The loss drops the Comets to 3-2 on the season. But good news for them is that they play the Norfolk Sharx on Saturday. In their two games so far the Sharx have been out scored 44 to 14.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wave is still so much bigger than the Comets. I don't really notice against the other teams. Just Milwaukee.

We should have won on Friday, then Sunday's loss wouldn't feel so bad.

Hopefully Norfolk will be a post Thanksgiving feast for the Comets on Saturday.