Sunday, January 25, 2015

Comets Remain Undefeated, Clinch Central

In one of their tightest games of the year, the Missouri Comets again found a way to come out on top again, topping the Monterrey Flash 8-7 in overtime to move to 15-0 on the season and clinch the Central Division.

The Comets spent much of the night playing catch up, having to play from behind. Just over two minutes into the game, Angel Hernandez scored to put Monterrey on top. A minute and a half later though the Comets were level as Vahid Assadpour scored to level the scores at 1-1. Late in the quarter the Comets were able to take the lead as Alain Matingou scored to give the Comets a 2-1 lead with just over four minutes left in the quarter.

The lead quickly evaporated in the second quarter as Erick Tovar scored less than a minute in to tie the game at 2-2. Tovar dominated the quarter, scoring twice more to give the Flash a 4-2 lead. With less than 30 seconds left in the quarter, Assadpour scored his second goal of the game to cut the Flash lead to 4-3 as the two teams headed into half time.

The third quarter was a lot tighter from both teams as each team worked to tighten things up. Just over half way into the third quarter, Tovar scored his fourth goal of the game to make the score 5-3 Monterrey. The Comets though immediately struck back as Max Touloute finished off a pass from Andre Braithwaite to make it 5-4 as the two teams headed into the fourth quarter.

The fourth saw the both teams open up offensively in a back and forth battle. Each time the Comets looked like they were back in the game, Monterrey would jump back on top. Less than a minute and a half in, Braithwaite scored off an assist from Stefan Stokic to tie the game at 5-5. Less than 10 seconds later though Yotsi Martinez scored to put the Flash back on top. The Comets though again struck back, with just under eight minutes to play as Assadpour finished off his hattrick to tie the game at 6-6. Late in the quarter, with less than two and a half minutes left, it looked like the Flash had found a winner as Lourenco Andrade scored to put the Flash back on top at 7-6. The Comets went with the sixth attacker looking to find a late equalizer. With all the pressure, the Comets were finally able to break through with just 17 seconds left in the game. Assadpour set up the play receiving the ball out wide, cutting around his defender and firing a ball across the box. The ball made it to the back post to Ramone Palmer who was able to take a touch and poke the ball into the near post to tie the game at 7-7 and send the game to overtime.

Just 25 seconds into overtime though the Comets found themselves on the power play after Touloute was booked for kicking a player. The short handed situation didn't hurt the Comets though as they won a free kick in the Monterrey third just a minute in. Brian Harris played the ball back to midfield where it was then chipped back into the Monterrey end for Braithwaite. The Comets defender headed the ball across the field towards go to Robert Palmer. Palmer beat his man to the ball with a sliding challenge and knocked the ball into the net to give the Comets the 8-7 win in OT.

The team now returns home to take on the Chicago Mustangs on Friday.

No comments: