Sunday, December 22, 2013

Comets Top Ambush for Third Time

So far this year, the Missouri Comets have been in control of the rivalry with their cross state rival, the St. Louis Ambush. The teams had met twice already this season, both in St. Louis with the Comets coming out on top of both of those games. Today at the Independence Events Center the two teams met for the first time on this side of the state. The end result wasn't different though as the Comets pulled off an 11 point win, winning 24-13.

The Comets jumped out to an early lead as just a minute 24 seconds in John Sosa was played in behind the Ambush defense. His shot was saved by Jeff Richey, but the rebound fell to Bryan Perez who took a touch and fired a shot that hit the post, bounced off Richey and into the net to make it 2-0. Just over the half way point in the first quarter the Comets doubled their lead. Byron Alvarez started a counter by blocking an Ambush shot. Alvarez raced down the field before playing the ball to Ramoe Palmer who beat Richey to make it 4-0. The Comets continued to get chances as they pushed the game and with just under four minutes left in the quarter they added another. After some nice possession, the ball was played to Perez at the back post. Perez played the ball back across goal where Stefan St. Louis beat Richey to the ball and was able to get the ball to loop into the net. Before the quarter was over the Comets added another. After some possession in the Ambush end, the Comets turned the ball over. But before the Ambush crossed the midfield line, Brian Harris won the ball back. Harris played the ball wide to Vahid Assadpour. Assadpour played the ball across the field to Perez who played it to the back post for Alvarez who had a tap in to make it 8-0.

The second quarter saw St. Louis start to come into the game. Just over three minutes into the half, the Ambush got on the board as Mike Mesle fired from 3 point range. Danny Waltman in Missouri's net was blocked and didn't see the shot until late and the Ambush cut the lead to five. A couple minutes later they cut the lead to three as the Comets turned the ball over in their half of the field. Jeff DiMaria played the ball behind Missouri's defense to Odaine Sinclair. Sinclair cut around the on rushing Waltman and rolled the ball into the empty net. That'd be as close as the Ambush would get though. Less than a minute after the Ambush goal, Milan Ivanovic received the ball on the side of the field and fired a shot to the back post was Alvarez was lurking to turn the ball home and make it 10-5.  Then just over nine minutes into the quarter, Perez had his second goal of the game. Perez worked a 1-2 with Leo Gibson before chipping the ball over Richey to make it 12-5. The Ambush cut the lead to five again as Dimaria got a goal off a nice restart, sprinting onto a ball played into the box and hammering it home.e But before the half the Comets restored the lead to seven. A Sosa three pointer was saved by Richey but it went right to Lucas Rodriguez who headed the ball in to make the half time score 14-7.

The third quarter saw the Comets continue to control the game and get the majority of shots. Just under three minutes in the Comets had another goal. Ramone Palmer stole the ball off the foot of an Ambush attacker and was able to beat Richey to make the score 16-7. A couple minutes later the Comets found themselves on the power play, but it was the Ambush that found the net. After some sloppy play in the back, DiMaria beat Waltman top shelf to make it a seven point game again.

The fourth quarter again saw the Comets get another goal early. Gibson got in behind St. Louis' defense, but could not his chip over Richey. Gibson collected the rebound though and after digging it out of the corner fired it back into the middle. Richey got a touch but the ball came to Sosa who knocked the ball home to make it 18-9. The Ambush continued to stick around. About two minutes later, Corey Adamson got behind Missouri's defense. Waltman made a good first save, but from the ground Adamson was able to knock his rebound home to make it a 9 point game again. A minute and a half later though the Comets found the net again. Perez got his third assist of the night as he played the ball wide to Assadpour who cut around Richey and from a tight angle slide the ball into the net to make it 20-11. Once again the Ambush cut the lead to seven, with DiMaria getting his hattrick, but it wouldn't be enough. The Comets added two more before the end of the game. Assadpour fired in a shot after Sosa played it to him off a restart. Then Gibson got a goal as Sosa played him in 1v1 with Richey and after the goalkeeper had committed low, Gibson went high and made it 24-13. The win was the Comets fourth straight, they'll be back at it next Saturday night against Syracuse.

No comments: