Saturday, December 13, 2014

Comets Remain Undefeated

The Missouri Comets continued their undefeated start to the season as they topped the Wichita B-52's for the second time this season, this time by a score of 12-3.

Unlike the last time these two teams met, the B-52's were able to keep things close for a half. Neither team was able to get on the board in the first quarter, with Danny Waltman being called upon to make a number of import saves to keep the score scoreless. The second quarter started much the same before four and a half minutes in, Coady Andrews deflected a Wichita clearance into the net to give the Comets the first goal of the game. Near the midpoint of the quarter the Comets found themselves on the power play after a boarding penalty. With the man advantage they doubled their lead as Max Touloute found John Sosa who scored to make it 2-0. This is how the scores remained heading into the half time break.

The third quarter is where the Comets really broke the game open, scoring six goals to put the game away. It started less than a minute in as Vahid Assadpour scored to make it 3-0. Just under six minutes in, the Comets made it 4-0 as Leo Gibson picked up his first assist of the night, setting up Touloute for the goal. The Comets continued to fly and eight minutes in, Assadpour had his brace off an assist from Sosa. Just over a minute later though the B-52's were on the board through John Markey. The Comets though responded in kind as Milan Ivanovic's shot was deflected in off of Gibson to restore the four goal lead. Late in the half the Comets again struck in quick succession, scoring two goals just over 30 seconds a part. Alain Matingou started the scoring off another assist from Gibson before Brian Harris finished out the scoring in the quarter firing home a restart after a touch from Sosa.

The fourth quarter saw the B-52s try to make a game of it, but the teams ended up exchanging goals for most of the quarter. The quarter started with the Comets finishing up a power play from the third quarter, and right as the penalty expired, Sosa picked out Bryan Perez who beat Boris Pardo to make it 9-1. Wichita responded quickly as Pardo found Brady Bryant, who got in behind Missouri's defense and beat Waltman to make it 9-2. Six minutes in the Comets again found themselves on the power play and again the Comets took advantage as Gibson found Sosa for his second of the night to make it 10-2. The final quarter saw a number of power play opportunities, the B-52s took advantage of their own after a penalty on the Comets for too many men. With the extra attacker and putting in their sixth attacker, the B-52s again cut the lead to seven through Matt Clare. Shortly after that the Comets were again down a man for a boarding foul on Sosa. The Comets though were the ones that took advantage of Wichita throwing numbers forward as Touloute won the ball and was able to walk it into the net to make it 11-3. Less than a minute left the Comets won a power play themselves after the Wichita sixth attacker, Alex Moseley handled the ball outside the box. On the ensuing shootout attempt, Gibson's shot hit the post, but was turned in by Harris to finish the scoring for the night at 12-3.

The Comets now have a weekend off before returning home the weekend after Christmas to take on the San Diego Sockers, which should be a more competitive game against one of the better PASL teams.

No comments: