Saturday, December 06, 2014

Comets Quell the Revolution in Tulsa

The Comets traveled to Tulsa for their second game in as many nights, and their first against the Tulsa Revolution. Missouri at times certainly looked it as well as they played a little slower at times compared to how they've normally played. It still was enough for Missouri to breeze by the Revolution, as the Comets pulled off a 15-5 win.

Starting out, Tulsa was able to hold the Comets off for much of the first half. The game was past the midpoint of the first quarter when Vahid Assadpour cut to the outside on his defender and fired a high shot into the roof of the net to give the Comets the lead. The Revolution though responded fairly quickly with a shot from distance that beat Danny Waltman and tied the game at 1-1. Missouri though was starting to control the game more and soon retook the lead with Assadpour feeding the ball into the middle for Robert Palmer who scored. Then, just before the end of the half, Max Touloute extended the lead. He received the ball at the top of the arc and fired a shot home to make it 3-1 after one quarter.

The second quarter saw the Comets come out with the high pressure that saw them score seven goals in the first quarter last night. The early pressure allowed them to extend their lead as Leo Gibson fired a shot wide of the goal, but Brian Harris was there and knocked home the rebound to make it 4-1. Like in the first quarter, the Revolution responded to the first goal as Bryan Beckford knocked a shot off Stefan Stokic and into the net to make it 4-2. The Comets then started to really take the game over and put the Revolution under a lot of pressure. Harris made it 5-2 shortly after the Tulsa goal. He played the ball in to Gibson who turned and faced up to goal, he then fired the ball off the wall into the path of Harris who scored his second of the night. Touloute made it six in short order, firing a shot from the yellow line to extend the lead. Gibson finally got in on the scoring, winning the ball in the Tulsa half before dribbling down into the box and firing into the far post to make it 7-2. With just over a minute and a half to play, the Comets made it 8-2. Alain Matingou won the ball in the Tulsa end, held off a couple Tulsa defenders before laying the ball off to Palmer who scored his second of the game to make it 8-2 as the teams headed into the half time break.

At half time both teams changed goals, and the Comets Brendan Allen got his first minutes of the season. Six minutes into the half he was pulling the ball out of his own net after a shot from distance by Beckford beat him to cut the lead to 8-3. Once again, the Comets would respond. A couple minutes after the goal, John Sosa got on the scorers sheet, firing a restart from the top of the arc into the net. A minute and a half later it was Sosa again making it 10-3. Off a quick restart, Touloute laid the ball off to Sosa who fired home. Then with under four minutes left, the Sosa completed his hattrick on the power play as he was fed the ball by Bryan Perez inside the box and he scored to make it 11-3, where the teams ended the third quarter.

The fourth quarter saw Sosa return the favor inside the first couple minutes. His shot missed but went right to Perez, who had an open goal and scored to make it 12-3. Michael Poneys responded quickly for Tulsa for their fourth goal of the night. The Comets though continued to push the game and just over a minute later, Palmer finished up his hattrick off a finish from Harris to make it 13-4. Andre Braithwaite made it a 10 goal game just over half way through the quarter. The Comets then gave up a short handed goal to Sam Guernsey off a restart to make it 14-5. The Comets returned the favor with less than a minute left as Touloute fired in a restart to make it 15-5 where the game ended as the Comets move to 7-0 on the season.

No comments: