Saturday, December 10, 2016

Comets' Comeback Falls Short

The Kansas City Comets tried to atone for their opening night loss to the Cedar Rapids Rampage in Iowa tonight, but found themselves down five goals two different times in the night. A valiant comeback for the Comets fell short though as they fell 8-7 to the Rampage to drop to 3-3 on the season.

The Comets didn't come out strong to start the game and were made to pay in the first quarter as the Rampage scored just 12 seconds into the game before doubling the lead less than three minutes in. The Rampage added a third goal before the end of the quarter and the Comets had a mountain to climb after the first quarter. The second quarter didn't change things for the Comets as they allowed the Rampage to score two more goals to extend the lead to 5-0 with just over eight minutes played in the second. Thirty-six seconds later the Comets were able to get themselves on the board though as Leo Gibson found the back of the night to cut the lead back to four. Gui Gomes made it a three goal game, getting his first goal of the season with just under five minutes to play in the quarter. In the dying seconds though the Rampage extended the lead back to four with just four seconds left.

In the third period the Comets came out stronger and pressed the game against the Rampage trying to find a way back into the game. Almost seven minutes into the quarter the Comets cut the lead back to three goals as John Sosa scored to make it 6-3. Less than two minutes later though the Rampage would extend the lead back to five after a pair of goals in 15 seconds made it 8-3. From there the Comets started their comeback. Gibson and Vahid Assadpour got the scoring started, scoring two goals within 26 seconds of each other to bring the Comets back within three before the third period was over.

Into the fourth the Comets continued their comeback, striking early on a goal by Alain Matingou just over a minute into the quarter to cut the lead to two. Before the media timeout, the Comets had cut the lead to one on a goal by Lucas Rodriguez to make it 8-7. Unfortunately the Comets couldn't find an equalizing goal in the final nine and a half minutes to send the game to overtime. The Comets will now return home for a date with the Baltimore Blast tomorrow at the SEC Arena at 5:05. The Blast will come in after a 7-0 shutout win on the road against Florida.

No comments: