Thursday, August 07, 2014

FCKC Clinch Second in Weather Shortened Win Over Boston

From FC Kansas City

FC Kansas City (12-6-5 41pts) won 2-1 over the Boston Breakers (4-15-2 14pts) tonight at Verizon Wireless Field. Due to severe weather, the game was delayed two hours and was officially canceled at halftime. Though the match only lasted 45 minutes, three goals were scored. Amy Rodriguez and Sarah Hagen scored for the Blues while Heather O’Reilly scored for the Breakers. The FC Kansas City win tonight has given home field advantage to the Blues for the semifinals of the 2014 NWSL Playoffs.

Rodriguez has made a habit of attacking early in matches lately and tonight was no different. She found a breakaway and had a one-on-one face off with Alyssa Naeher. The Boston goalkeeper came out to defend but Rodriguez slipped around to an open net and put the Blues up 1-0 in the 8th minute.

Boston tried to quickly answer the first goal within the restart. The pressure would become fruitful in the 15th minute. Kassey Kallman fouled Lianne Sanderson just inside the box. O’Reilly stepped up to take the kick and put it just past Nicole Barnhart to even the score at one.

From there, FC Kansas City regrouped and controlled the tempo of the game. Erika Tymrak and Rodriguez had back to back close shots, but they would not find the back of the net. Hagen would be the one to capitalize on a chance in the 26th minute. In a scene much like Rodriguez’s goal, Hagen broke away from the pack and found an open net. After some bouncing around, the ball finally crossed the line and put the Blues up 2-1.

The game shifted after that goal; Boston found more attacking chances while Kansas City had three offside calls in a row. Boston would look to former FC Kansas City member Kristie Mewis for an equalizer. She fired off a shot in the 38th minute that went too high and over the net.

The half ended at 2-1 and the second round of delays set in. Halftime was extended until the curfew and the storm was still going strong. Since the match completed the first half, the game is considered official and final. FC Kansas City remains undefeated at home and secures home field advantage for the semifinals.

No comments: