Monday, July 15, 2013

FCKC Draw Again

From FC Kansas City

FC Kansas City has now gone six games without losing as they finish today’s match against the Chicago Red Stars with a 3-3 draw.  In her debut as Lauren Holiday, the former Ms. Cheney scored a goal and had an assist.  A Chicago own goal and Erika Tymrak’s fifth goal of the season gave the Blues a 3-1 lead late in the game, but two Chicago goals in stoppage time, including the game equalizer with seconds to play, leave the Blues with only a single point at the end of this one.

Although this was the third match this season between these two clubs, it was the first for many of the players.  With United States and Canadian national team friendlies taking place, FC Kansas City alone was missing six players for each of the previous two games against Chicago.  Taking advantage of Kansas City’s somewhat unfamiliarity against them, the Red Stars controlled possession early on in the game.  However, FC Kansas City used their speed in the attack to counter many times and had several good chances early in the game.  In the 17th minute, Melissa Henderson raced past the Chicago defense, putting her one-on-one with Red Stars goalkeeper Erin McLeod.  Although the Canadian national goalkeeper was able to make the initial stop, the rebound went straight to Holiday who scored on the open net.

Chicago was able to equalize late in the half when Maribel Dominguez scored her first goal of the season from outside the penalty box.  FC Kansas City went right back on the attack though.  Kristie Mewis drove to goal on the left side and her shot slipped past McLeod, bouncing off the post and then a Chicago defender into the net.  As the teams went into halftime, FC Kansas City led 2-1.  Erika Tymrak scored another counterattack goal in the second half converting a 4 on 1 opportunity in the 86th minute.

With a 3-1 lead as time ticked towards the final moments, Vlatko Andonovski’s team hunkered down for Chicago’s final attempts at goal.  Ella Masar got her head on a free kick from Lori Chalupny inside the goal box and redirected it just past the hands of Kansas City goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart.  The fourth official then signaled a minimum of five minutes would be added to the game, which now set at a 3-2 FC Kansas City lead.  The stoppage time lasted just seconds too long for FC Kansas City though as Lori Chalupny launched a rocket of a shot from just inside the penalty box, scoring Chicago’s third goal and evening up the game.  The ensuing kickoff was barely away before the referee blew his whistle, signaling the end of the game.

The draw, coupled with a 1-1 tie between Portland and Western New York, leaves Kansas City in third place.  They currently sit one point behind the Portland Thorns and two points up on the Western New York Flash in the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) table. 

No comments: