Sunday, March 13, 2016

Comets Run Past Milwaukee, Book Date with Baltimore

The Missouri Comets clinched a spot in the MASL's final four, advancing to the Eastern Conference finals to take on the Baltimore Blast with an 8-2 win over the Milwaukee Wave to sweep their series 2 games to none.

The Comets started things early with Vahid Assadpour finishing an effort off a John Sosa restart. The Wave were able to tie the game halfway through the quarter with Max Ferdinand finding the net. The Comets though proceeded to run away with things, Sosa scored off a restart with just over five minutes left, before Max Touloute scored in the final four minutes to make it 3-1 after one quarter. The Comets were able to extend their lead further in the second quarter, but only by a single goal as Alain Matingou finished up an opportunity off an assist from Kiel Williams.

The two teams both had their chances in the third quarter, with the Comets getting the better of play, but neither side was able to find the net again. Finally in the final five minutes the Comets struck twice, first Kevin Ten Eyck caught Nick Vorberg with a quick strike that went through the Wave goalkeepers' legs to make it 5-1. Then in the final few seconds of the period Touloute fired a shot from the top of the box into the net to end the quarter up 6-1. Virtually from the kick off in the fourth quarter the Wave went with the sixth attacker trying to make their way back into the game. Five minutes in they found one as Ian Bennett beat Boris Pardo to make it 6-2 with 10 minutes still to play. Three and a half minutes later though the game basically over. In the span of 20 seconds the Comets scored twice against the sixth attacker to put the game away. First Ramone Palmer scored after him and Brian Harris played a perfect counter leading to a Palmer tap in to make it 7-2. Then 20 seconds later on a long ball by Leo Gibson, sixth attacker Johnathan Greenfield slipped on the turf, pulling it up and falling to the ground. Touloute, who was racing after the ball picked up the loose ball after Greenfield's slip and walked the ball into the net. From there the Wave reinserted Vorberg and the two teams played out the final six minutes as the Comets advanced.

No comments: